208_BIG --- This wide angle shot of the new Weihsien Camp Tourist Park, taken from the window of the attic in B.61 where Norman Cliff and Stephen Metcalf were quartered for some time ---(See 206),--- [read more: Click Here]
176W 2005 -The Peace Monument in the Happy Way Square, with the names of all former internees of Weihsien Concentration Camp inscribed on the base, is the centre of much interest for both ex-internees and Weifang residents alike.
198 2005 - This shot is to the rear of the Peace Monument, and says 'Happy Way Square' (Ledao Guangchang).. -
200 2005 - the steps/platform on the river side of the 'Happy Way' Square, which leads down to the river. -
184BIG 2005 - Wall of Remembrance. The Wall of Remembrance is located at the outer boundary of Weihsien Tourist Park, to the left of the waterfall, with a stream flowing in front of it. In this close up ... [read more: Click Here]
201W 'August 2005. The picturesque miniature bridge from Ledao Square ('Happy Way Square') to the former Shadyside Hospital, Block 61. This bridge is located approximately where the guard tower overlooking the hospital 'park' used to be. What a delightful irony: no longer 'Confinement Tower', but 'Liberty Bridge', leading to the freedom of Ledao Square and the Wall of Remembrance!
206-2 2005 - Block 61 --- It was from the opened window of the attic, once occupied by Norman Cliff and Stephen Metcalf, that wide angle Photo 208 was taken, giving a panoramic view of Ledao Park. ---
213 2005 - Dawei Birch & Dawei Beard, standing at the front entrance of Block 61.
213a 2005 - Dawei Birch & Dawei Beard, standing at the front entrance of Block 61.
203 2005 - Tingzi and ornamental lake beside B61
204 2005 - The renovated Blocks 60/59 and 58
205 2005 - Blocks 60/59 and 58, joined by moongate
209 2005 - Combined Blocks 60/59 behind Eric Liddell monument
152 2005 - Banners draped in front of our Weifang hotel
155W 2005 - Location of the foreground of this picture is roughly at the top right of the map where 'PLAN of the CAC Weihsien' is enscribed.Sui Shude is in centre foreground. In the distance can be seen the site of the official welcome, which was in a large open area in front of where Block 23 used to be.
map_600pix_Park2005 The map of "Weihsien" as it was in 1943 --- and NOW, in 2005 ---
157 2005 - We are greeted by No 2 Middle School students on our way to the dais for the official Celebration.The No 2 Middle School Historical Exhibition House is to the left.
158 Floral hoop welcome.Moving closer to the seating for guests in front of the official dais, we can see Middle School Historical Exhibition House ( a Japanese guards' residence during internment) on the left.
159 The Official Dais. The official dais backdrop display board of the Commemoration of the 60th Anniversary of the Liberation of Weihsien Concentration Camp, August 17, 2005.
160 Close up of the large billboard promoting Peace, Friendship and Joint Development.
165 2005 - 'No 2 Middle School Choir'Massed voices of No 2 Middle School school girls.
170 2005 - 'Display in the foyer of Exhibition House'
172 2005 - Block 35, spruced upBlock 35 has had a major face-lift. To see it in 2003, almost in it's original state [click here].
173 2005 - Block 50. Some friendly Weihsieners spontaneously join Margaret Beard for a photo op. For more data on Block 50,
175 2005 - 'Margaret Beard and an elderly lady'
186 2005 - First Meeting of the Council of Friendship in Weifang.
187 2005 - James H. Taylor III speaks for H.K. at the Council of Friendship.
216 2005 - Yangbai Village kite factory
219 2005 - A Colourful Kite in Production
220 2005 - The Three Goats, Symbolizing Prosperity. This four character Chinese phrase is used on New Year's Eve to wish someone a good year to come. The hope is that the New Year will usher in good fortune!
190 2005 - Shandong Foton Heavy Industries Co Ltd. This factory, based in Weifang, is a major producer of heavy machinery and exports to quite a number of countries.
191 2005 - Heavy Machinery: Foton Heavy Industries. James Broughton (son of Mary Hoyte Broughton) and Carolyn Christensen, his fiancee.
194BIG 2005 - Fuwah International Conference Business Centre. [Read more: Click Here]
232 2005 - 'August 2005. Former Edgewater Mansions Hotel. taken from the rear (seaward aspect) to match up with the photo of Sept 1945. To view it as it was in 1945, [click here]
252W 'August 2005. Former Edgewater Mansions Hotel, front view. Now known as Donghai Fandian (East Sea Hotel), it is for the exclusive use of Chinese military personnel on vacation. You can't gain access now - even to look around the foyer.
271W August 2005. The Donghai International Hotel, built in the 1990s at the side of the old Donghai Fandian, is an imposing structure of 35 floors with a total of 370 guest rooms and suites, all with a beautiful sea view. We recommend it.